These are two of the four quarts of my second batch of yogurt. I talked about doing it in this post and I finally did using my Igloo Play Mate Cooler, warm water, a candy thermometer, Dannon plain yogurt, and 2 % milk. I followed most of the instruction in the link below. It turned out ...well ...just like yogurt. And the best part is it is less than a dollar per quart (unless you use organic milk in which case it is still cheaper than store bought). Very satisfying!
Here's the link and a summary of what I did:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/yogurt2000.htm
1)Scald a gallon of milk and let it cool to 50 degrees Celsius. (I use metric because it's easier to remember).
2)For starter, stir a cup of yogurt with a cup of milk until blended. (Some people bring these to room temperature first.)
3)Stir the starter into the cooled milk until well mixed.
4)Pour into four quart jars and one pint jar. (I used a strainer for this as I think I should have used a pan with a heavier bottom and there were cooked pieces of milk coming out that were stuck to the bottom of the pan.) Pouring the milk into the jars can be a bit messy so I put the jars on a dishtowel to absorb some of the mess. The pint can be used as starter yogurt for the next batch.
5)Put the jars in the cooler and then pour water that is 50 degrees Celsius right out of the tap into the cooler using the candy thermometer to make sure it is the right temperature. Make sure the water stays below the bottom of the lids. I propped the little pint jar on top of an empty sideways pint jar so it was above the water level. A little precarious but it seemed to work.
6)Close the cooler and let sit undisturbed for at least 6 hours. The link with the recipe says 3 hours but I just want to make sure.
Here's the link and a summary of what I did:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/yogurt2000.htm
1)Scald a gallon of milk and let it cool to 50 degrees Celsius. (I use metric because it's easier to remember).
2)For starter, stir a cup of yogurt with a cup of milk until blended. (Some people bring these to room temperature first.)
3)Stir the starter into the cooled milk until well mixed.
4)Pour into four quart jars and one pint jar. (I used a strainer for this as I think I should have used a pan with a heavier bottom and there were cooked pieces of milk coming out that were stuck to the bottom of the pan.) Pouring the milk into the jars can be a bit messy so I put the jars on a dishtowel to absorb some of the mess. The pint can be used as starter yogurt for the next batch.
5)Put the jars in the cooler and then pour water that is 50 degrees Celsius right out of the tap into the cooler using the candy thermometer to make sure it is the right temperature. Make sure the water stays below the bottom of the lids. I propped the little pint jar on top of an empty sideways pint jar so it was above the water level. A little precarious but it seemed to work.
6)Close the cooler and let sit undisturbed for at least 6 hours. The link with the recipe says 3 hours but I just want to make sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment