Monday, October 11, 2010

Trying to Apply St. Francis to Everyday Life

"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."--St. Francis of Assisi

I have been thinking about this quote for the past couple of days.  Today I think I came to understand it a little better. 

Doing what is necessary

After lunch I put the kids in the living room hoping they would keep busy so I could finish unloading the dishwasher. Well...it seemed my daughter couldn't leave her little brother alone and I found myself getting really frustrated. I realized that what was truly necessary was for me to go in the living room and spend time with them to guide them in their play so that they could each play and not get in each other' way. (Isn't it interesting that they need to be taught or given an example of how to play?)

Doing what is possible 

Earlier in the day, after I had gotten the children lunch and while they were eating it, I worked at unloading the dishwasher, mixing up powdered milk, tidying up in general.  During the minutes that the children didn't need me to meet an immediate need I was able to do what was possible to get some other work done. 

Doing the impossible

I'm not sure I understand exactly what is meant by doing the impossible, but in supervising/playing with my kids in the living room I was able to referee and help them to play in a way so they could both do what they wanted.  For example, my daughter was playing with her new toy pots but her brother kept grabbing at them and wanting to play with them too.  Since there were three pots, two with lids,  I took one of the lidded pots and one of the toy utensils and put it on the floor where her little brother could play with it.  I then took little odd toys and put it in the pot and showed him how to stir it around like he was cooking.  His sister like this and I gave her something to put in her pot--she was delighted.  A truly calm, constructive moment was brought about where all frustrations had subsided.

Could it be said that while doing the things that are set before us to do of more immediate, basic concern such as feeding the children and giving them the attention they need when they need it, we are perhaps doing the small things that open us up to God's grace and allow him to do the impossible in our lives?

No comments: