Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Musings

Right now it is a quarter after three in the afternoon.  I just put the pot roast in the oven and may bike over to my husbands place of work to bring him the left over crock pot chicken from yesterday. 

This weekend seemed rough.  My son went on a youth retreat Saturday which I was happy about and my husband worked all weekend again which I wasn't happy about.  These long hours of his have been going on for at least a month and a half.  He usually works to at least midnight most nights of the week and is rarely home for supper.  It's hard not to feel like his company is exploiting their employees a bit.  There has been talk of unionizing the software engineers but it has been said that trying to organize software engineers is like herding cats. 
This can't be good for anyone's health.  My husband is type I diabetic and he has had a lot of high blood sugars due to late hours, lack of sleep, and stress.  We know we are fortunate to be employed, but sheesh!  We really miss him.  I miss the times we had as a family together.  I try to have faith and remember that God is allowing this and I beleive is purifying me through this time. 

Some plans for the week include cleaning the living room and kitchen, watch The Song of Bernadette if there is time, practice for the first rehearsal on Sunday.  I'm hoping to take the kids out in the bike trailer tomorrow if the weather is o.k. That always lifts my spirits.

Praying for my husband and the team he works with that they will do good work and the holy spirit will guide the project and the people working on it. Praying to make a good decision regarding something in particular.

Something that makes me smile...

Figuring out how to make decent whole wheat bread in my new bread maker.  It took a little bit but I think the thing that really helped was making sure there is enough water. This really helps the bread to rise well.  I've been using vital wheat gluten too which I think improved outcome over the initial loaves; but it didn't start turning out really great until I increased the water.  It's nice that even with machine's to make things easier there is still human oversight and experimentation required.  I think the fact I have made good whole wheat bread by hand was helpful in figuring out how to do it well with the machine.

For more Monday Musings see Nadja at Patch O' Dirt.

No comments: