On Tuesday I took the little ones to the doctor for their check-ups. This is always a little tense for me as I am forced to think about immunizations and the fact there are some that are derived from aborted babies and wonder whether or not I should share my reservations with the doctor. There is some excellent information at http://www.cogforlife.org/ if you'd like to find out more.)
Baby Boy was due for his MMR shot in which the rubella part of this vaccine is derived from aborted babies. We also had the option of the Hep A shot and the Chicken Pox shot which are also derived from aborted babies. There are no readily available ethical alternatives to these vaccines.
According to my understanding of church teaching, if I feel that the health risks are serious enough I may choose to receive these vaccines any way, but I need to make known my objections to the company (the doctor too?) We went ahead with the MMR but said no to Hep A and Chicken Pox. (Hep A is not required yet, but Chicken Pox Vaccine is for school and day care.) I didn't share my reasons with the doctor like I should have though I had shared them with him prevously regarding a combo vaccine where there is an ethical alternative (pedarix vs. pentacel, pedarix being the ethical version). Fortunately, the doctors office uses the ethical alternative to this particular vaccine.
Next time I may just give him this information as it spells out which are the unethical vaccine and the churches position regarding whether or not the get this vaccine so he knows where I am coming from. Meanwhile I really need to write the companies to make my objections known.
No comments:
Post a Comment