Friday, September 17, 2010

Bread and Yogurt

Fall is in the air.  I've been making plans for beginning to make a few more things from scratch as I have done in the past.  Inspired by a friend who was making bread in her bread machine when I visited her last week I have started baking bread again.  I don't remember exactly when I stopped; but I think it was around last summer before or after my son was born in July.  I don't have a bread machine but I am seriously considering it for the first time.  Any suggestions?  I always see them at Good Will but I will have to look at them more closely next time I go.

I started making kefir a few years a go when my now almost three year old was a baby but probably haven't made it in at least two years.  It's nice because you can just make it at room temperature unlike yogurt where you need the right amount of heat and possibly a yogurt maker. I would like to try making yogurt however, as we would probably eat it more readily than kefir.   Here and here are a couple of posts with ideas for making it without a yogurt maker.   This article has some helpful information and kind of combines the two ways mentioned in the last two links.  They pour water of the right temperature into a small cooler and have canning jars full of the yogurt sit in that for the designated time.  It would really be a lot cheaper to make our own yogurt as milk from the store is much cheaper than buying yogurt from the store.

No comments: