I wrote this a few days ago. It doesn't say anything that others haven't said before, but I thought it would help me retain it in my brain better if I wrote about it. It seems like God has given me plenty of chances to put it into practice since then. Whether I have responded well or not to these chances is another story. Here it is:
I was just reading a short meditation in My Daily Bread by Anthony J. Paone, S.J. entitled "Obstacles to Peace of Soul." The only way to true and lasting peace is God's will. The question is asked,"Am I trying to embrace God's holy will in all that happens to me each day?" This calls to my mind the little daily annoyances that easily make me loose patience or can throw me into a blue mood. For example, when the baby won't take a nap, thus interfering with my quiet time or, when I feel like my husband has been thoughtless which can throw me "out of joint." Perhaps if I changed my perspective about these things and saw them as God's will, I would be more patient and cheerful or at least try harder to be more patient and cheerful rather than allow myself to become downcast so easily.
On a retreat that I attended recently the presiding priest suggested that we look at the list of sins that we tell at confession as missed opportunities to love. Perphaps these "little annoyances" that happen in every day life can be seen as opportunities to love. In order to love more I can be kind and patient even when I feel like my husband isn't loving me in the way that I want to be loved; and I can accept and trust that God is giving me what I need even though I am not getting what I want (i.e. the said quiet time) at a given moment. In fact, it is almost certain that the opportunity to love more is why God allows these "little annoyances" in the first place.
2 comments:
I love this! I actually wrote about this a little while ago, I guess it wasn't such an original idea after all. :)
Thanks for reading. I'll try to find your post.
Post a Comment