The idea that God alone suffices is what kept going through my mind this Lent. Many times I look to food for comfort so this Lent I worked to moderate my food intake by such things as: no snacking on popcorn, eating cereal instead of baked goods or bread with jam for breakfast, eating only one serving per meal, limiting snacks of all kinds, and mostly no sweets and junk food. These were only general guidelines and not hard and fast rules. Nevertheless, I generally stuck pretty close to this plan.Whenever I had a longing to eat something for comfort I told myself that, "Jesus is enough for me" keeping in mind that the things of this world will pass away and provide us with only temporary pleasure and that lasting happiness can only come from God.
So now that Easter is here (alleiluia) what attitude am I to take? It's a time for feasting right? In past years as soon as Easter rolled around I went back to my same old habits and of course overindulged on all the Easter candy. I heard someone on Catholic Radio say that if you gave up chocolate for Lent then you should eat chocolate every day for Easter meaning that Easter is a time of feasting and a time to enjoy the gifts of God (being temperate was implied). So this is the approach I am trying to take. I have been finding Easter candy at deep discounts at the stores and I have been buying it with the idea that I will eat only a little every day and not the whole bag at once. So how have I been doing? Well... Better than I have done in past years. Yesterday I had only one ice cream cone and 4 small marshmallow eggs and only the ears off of a small Hershey's bunny. That kind of sounds like a lot; and maybe it is not ideal; but considering how I am, that's not bad, and after all we are supposed to be feasting, right? Does anyone have any ideas about this? I would love some input.

No comments:
Post a Comment