My primary job as a wife and mother is to lead my family to Christ. This idea gave me a great deal of comfort today as I was going about my duties. Whether I am a mother who stays at home or works outside the home this should be my primary focus. It's the same for career women or for those of us at home and everything in our lives should be about this purpose.
If I am a stay-at-home mom and am constantly grouchy and impatient with my children, am I fulfilling my duty in leading my children to Christ? The answer, of course, is a resounding "no." If taking some time away from the kids would make me a more loving mother then this is what I should do since it would help me fulfill my purpose in leading my children to Christ.
If, as a career woman, my job were keeping me from making this the first priority in my life then, as with the full time homemaker, I would need to consider what changes I may need to make, such as working less hours, getting a different job, etc. in order to put my priorities in line.
I struggle with what it means to be a wife, mother and homemaker sometimes; but keeping in mind that marriage is my number one vocation helps me to realize that this needs to be my primary focus no matter what my "job" is.
No comments:
Post a Comment