Friday, December 4, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday Vol. 6


1. This weekend is another concert weekend. The program is the Dvorak Cello Concert and Shostakovich Symphony No. 5. When we get new music I have been looking for performances of it on You Tube for a free way to listen to the music. Lately I have viewed performances of such old greats as Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic, and Mislav Rostropovich. I am so grateful that access to these historic performances as well as newer ones are so readily available right in our own homes. This is the internet (and You Tube) at its best!

2. I have had a sick toddler this week. She has a really bad cold and the runniest nose I have ever seen. She wakes up with her hair stuck to her face with snot. Her hands always need to be washed because she is always wiping her nose with them. Her little nose is chapped and she has some gunk coming from both of her eyes. She is one messy little girl. She has actually gotten better in the past few days in that she doesn't wake up crying like she did the first two days and she is sleeping better. She was still pretty messy yesterday though. If her eyes don't clear up soon I'll probably take her to the doctor.

3. I think I may have this breastpumping-when-I'm-away-playing-in-rehearsals-and-concerts thing down now. I arrive to rehearsal an hour early, bring my bass in and pump in the bathroom downstairs. I have learned to put a sticky note outside the door saying "done in 20 minutes" so that people know that there will be a wait and they can go find another bathroom if they like. For rehearsal breaks I feel self conscious using this restroom because I will be in it for the whole break so I use the multiple stall restroom in the lobby. I also feel self conscious about the noise of the breast pump but I gotta do what I gotta do, and once the bathroom gets busy the noise of the toilets flushing, and the people talking, and coming in and out covers up the sound of the pump. I didn't want to pump during break before because I didn't want to get back late, but I realized that I don't need to wash out the pump until after I get home and this saves a lot of time. I wasn't pumping as often as I wanted to last concert set and I was worried about milk supply decreasing so now I am pumping about as often as I think necessary. Ahh, the things shared on blogs.

4. So now that I think I have the where and when of pumping milk I decided not to play in the next two concerts in February and March. But that's o.k. because I am happy that I can forego the anxiety of going some place an hour away from home in the worst of the winter weather. On the other hand, once I do get to rehearsal I am usually as happy as a clam to be playing and I will probably miss it though I will have the last concert of the season to look forward to in April.

5. The baby has been taking his binky regularly, and boy has this been a help in getting him to take longer naps. Thank you to my husband for getting him to this point.

6. It is as cold as it has been in a while today. It is not supposed to rise above freezing for a while and it is flurrying off and on. It was peaceful lying in bed and nursing the baby while watching the snow fall gently from the sky.

7. I am finding that if I make writing my blog a priority over reading blogs I feel a much better sense of accomplishment. It is really tempting to spend a lot of time reading blogs and then feeling like you have no time to do all the other things you wanted to do leaving you resentful about not having enough time to yourself. So making use of the time that I have given me is what I am working on.

For more Quick Takes click on the link above.

No comments: