We had a busy day after mass and muffins. I went shopping for boots for the kids and bought some pants for my husband. I wanted to get this done before it got snowing too hard.
In the evening I found that my dryer wasn't working. When the towels didn't get dry the first time I thought my husband forgot to turn on the dryer; when they didn't get done the second time I knew something was up. The dryer was spinning but there was no heat.
At first I was a little bit distraught by this as I had a fair amount of laundry, but then I rememered a post I read by Heather at A Quiet Place of Rest where she talked about hanging up her laundry inside because the weather was overcast that day and how this also helpped with the dry air inside. So... I have been doing laundry and hanging things up to dry whereever I can find a place to hang them. I hung diapers last night and I couldn't believe how quickly they dried. It is the dry air I am sure. I love the fact that we are getting by (for now) without our dryer.
This seems like such a small thing to get excited about; but my excitement may be due in large part that doing without a dryer (even temporarily) can be counted as one of the many small steps that are leading us to live a more homemade, do-it-yourself, thrifty kind of life. I may try to find a place to hang a clothesline and try to do this on a more permanent basis. We'll see.
On another note...
Here are pictures my husband took of our back yard this morning. Yes, it snowed, and I think many people will have similar pictures on their blogs today.
5 comments:
I'd never thought about clothes drying quicker from dry winter air...what a genius idea! Do you think it'd help humidify the house too? Or is my physics haywire on that one??
Lovely, snowy photos!
A fellow Catholic, I encourage it. See www.laundrylist.org.
I think it must add a little more moisture to the air but I'm not sure how much it helps--it seems like the air is extremely dry.
Looks like an interesting web site. Makes me feel like I'm not so crazy after all.
My dryer broke two years ago and I am still air drying everything on clothes drying racks that I use inside during the winter and outside when the sun is shining and it is warm enough. The big deciding factor in not replacing my dryer was when I saw my utility bill go down by almost 8%! that is a huge savings.
Mary Q, I have gone back to using my dryer on a regular basis. I at fist intended to air dry at least one load per week but it is difficult to find a place to hang everything. Thanks to your comment maybe I'll give it another try or at least put up a clothes line and hang them up during summer.
Post a Comment