
1. Last night we went to a free Christmas Show downtown at our local theater. Carolers sang outside as people were coming in. There was free cookies and hot chocolate. We had gone to this two years ago when Pumpkingirl was a baby and really liked it. We had decided to go at the spur of the moment. It is always a little uncertain how things will go when a toddler and an infant are in the mix so I was a little hesitant about dragging everybody out into the cold and trying to find a parkng place but it turned out to be really nice. That change of routine was a Godsend!
2. I have been baking cookies this week and intend to make some today and over the weekend. I have always baked cut out sugar cookies for the past few years but this is the first year that I will be baking more of a variety. I am going to try and get in at least four different kinds. I know this isn't a lot to some people but for me it is a good start. I have really been enjoying it. I have to remember to include my oldest Angelboy though. I enjoy it so much that I tend to leave him out and want to do everything myself. He did bake a whole batch of his own sugar cookies though. We should strive for more togetherness.
3. I feel God has really been blessing our Advent. I feel our Advent devotions, though simple, have been bringing us closer to God and to each other while keeping the true meaning of Christmas in mind. This doesn't mean I haven't strayed and let myself become stressed out and grouchy but it has been a good foundation for our Christmas preparations.
4. Speaking of the true meaning of Christmas, I only need to buy a gift for hubby and then I am pretty much done. We really don't have that much Christmas shopping to do. We buy a few things for each other and I buy a few things for my sister, brother and 3 nephews. That's pretty much it. We haven't been buying for our parents. They usually get a picture of the kids. We have a little more time for this since we ususally don't see them until New Year's Day. Gosh, writing all that down makes me think I have more to do than I thought. Better get hoppin'. I'm sure others put a lot more on themselves than this though.
5. I am always hesitant to make cookies because I am worried that I will eat a lot of them myself. This hasn't happened so far. I think it is because I am rather proud of them and want to save them to show off on Christmas Eve when my brother and sister are coming over. My vanity is keeping me in line.
6. We haven't gotten our Christmas Tree yet but will get it next week when hubby takes the week off. We are going to get a live tree this year I guess. We are going to go and pick one out and chop it down ourselves. We had done this three years ago on the day before Christmas Eve. We thought it was cool to get our tree just a few days before Christmas like stories you read or see on t.v. More traditional? There wasn't quite the selection of trees by then of course, and they still charge you the same for the tree but we didn't care. We were caught up in the joyful spirit of the day.
7. It looks like we will be having a white Christmas for the third year in a row. You never know what the weather is going to do in Iowa so all the snow could melt before Christmas:) Merry Christmas!
Click on the above link for more Quick Takes.
2 comments:
Wow! You've had a busy baking week! And just think, if you get snowed in and can't get out before Christmas, you'll still be covered in the treats area :)
I love your thoughts about enjoying a spur of the moment outing. I am so bad about hesitating when in truth, we'd probably have a wonderful time. Even if I wasn't fully prepared for it. Good for you guys for taking advantage of a fun, impromptu activity.
Mmm. I like the idea of being snowed in with treats.
I know what you mean about hesitating. It does take some effort to make yourself break the routine and get out doesn't it? We hadn't even eaten supper. Horrors!
Post a Comment