Friday, February 12, 2010
Seven Quick Takes Vol 11
1. I just don't feel like I can think of a whole lot to write about these days. I get these little snippets of things in my head that I think would be good to write about but then I get stuck. I suppose that's what Seven Quick Takes are for: writing down all those little snippets that come into my head and there's not much more that can be said about them; at this stage of my writing ability anyway.
2. Yes, I suppose its Valentine's Day on Sunday. I usually buy the kids little boxes of candy or another trinket. My mother did this for us and it was fun. Maybe someday I'll make trinkets instead of buying them. It's just a matter of finding the time. Perhaps we could just all make cookies together?
3. Speaking of making things, I'd like to learn to knit. Are there any projects that anyone could suggest for a beginning knitter with very little experience?
4. There is a string quartet concert that I would like to go to on Saturday night. I'll probably take Angelboy with me. There is a part of me that doesn't want to go as I will feel sad that as a musician I am not doing more with my music. On the other hand I know that getting out to hear classical music will feed my spirit and I will enjoy it immensely.
5. I saw the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist on Oprah Tuesday. It was really a great segment. I liked the dialogue that was taking place between the sisters, Oprah and Lisa Ling. When else do you get to hear talk of the dignity of the human person and chastity as being part of the integration of one's sexuality on network television? These topics and philosophies are so foreign to the popular culture and there they were being discussed with the foremost television mogul of our day. Hooray for the Sisters for agreeing to be on Oprah and hooray for Oprah for having them on!
6. I have been decluttering my kitchen cabinets this week by completely taking everything off of a shelf or two. I have been applying the suggestions that I got here to a degree. The gist of it is to take everything off or out and only put back what you have determined belongs there. This has been proving very helpful.
7. I have been intending on buying an external hard drive to back up the data on my computer. My husbands hard drive crashed not too long ago and therefore the issue has been brought to the forefront of my mind. I better not put it off too much longer.
Thanks for reading. For more quick takes go to conversiondiary.com.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hello. I don't know how to knit either. I've been shown how but I guess I'm just not that interested . I really like those knitted slippers though ...maybe someday since nobody will knit me a pair .
Making cookies together sounds like fun. It is great if you have time to get special presents for your children, but they're not missing anything if you just choose to do something fun instead.
I'll have to see if I can find that segment of Oprah online. It sounds great.
Rae,
Thanks for your thoughts. I am encouraged to emphasize a fun activity over special presents.
I found the Oprah segment at the Aggie Catholic blog.
Jackie,
I don't know what it is, but lately I have a hankering to learn how to make things.
When I teach someone to knit I always start with dishcloths. . They are small, knit up quickly, are useful and you can practice all kinds of different stitches. They're also inexpensive! If you google "free knit dishcloth patterns" you will discover and entire world of dishcloth knitting.
Becomewhatyouare,
Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment