Friday, November 6, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Vol. 4

1. Up early this morning. Since the time change I have been trying to get up at 6:00 regularly. My husband has been getting up around 4:30 to 5:00 to work a few hours on his second job. I went to bed fairly early last night so I was awake when he got up at 5:00 this morning. I have a full day today so I wanted to start the day with the Seven Quick Takes as to at least get this post in this week.

2. I have an orchestra concert this weekend. We are playing Beethoven's 3rd Symphony and a piece that is a musical setting of Martin Luther King Jr. 's I Have a Dream Speech. The speech is narrated by a local woman who has done much for the community.

3. It is a pain to find a place and time to pump milk while I am out away from the baby playing at the symphony. I try to get there an hour early so I can pump before rehearsal. I was planning on pumping in one of the dressing rooms but I found they were all locked. In past experiences this had not been the case. The stage set up guy came with me to see if he had a key to open them but he did not. So I had to explain to him that I was a nursing mother and I wanted to pump milk and that I reallypreferred a more private place to go than the public rest room in the lobby. He showed me a bathroom that I did not know existed which worked perfectly. I pumped after rehearsal too but when I was done the theater was dark and everyone except a few of the stage crew was left. What a lonely frightening feeling! I still hadn't packed up my stuff yet so I ended up doing that in the dark. Thankfully the lights back stage were still on. Another option is to pump during break but that usually doesn't allow for enough time and I am late getting back which I also hate. I have a car plug in so I could pump in my car but I found that it is really difficult to do this without seeing and if I turn on the light to make sure I have everything in the right place there is a good chance of revealing myself to someone I really don't want to. Waiting until I get home is longer than I would like to wait because it is an hour drive but maybe I'll have to do this. I don't want my milk to go down but then again it's not like it's every night.

4. I really want to finish a scarf that I started crocheting for my sister last year. The only reason I stopped is because the yarn got all tangled up. I had to cut the yarn and then my husband helped me get the yarn untangled. I need to make sure I know how to attach the cut yarn to the rest of the scarf properly now. I will look this up online when I get the chance. This is the first thing I have ever crocheted. It took a little while to figure it out but eventually I did.

5. I never got a chance to take a picture of the Jack O'Lantern's that dh and ds made last week. They were really beautiful.

6. I really love playing for the symphony but I feel really busy. For my two year old I took the whole year off after she was born. My baby boy is only 4 months and I have started up again. There is the pumping milk issue and I just feel more inclined to work on stuff around the house. It's probably really best for me to get away so I can appreciate being at home more. Yesterday I had no rehearsal and felt really good too stay home.

7. It feels like it is more difficult to get started writing this early in the morning. Its more difficult to think of stuff to write about. But that's it I made it through once again.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I crochet too. Although I only know how to do one stitch. I can't read a pattern. And I can only do squares or rectangles. So all I do are scarves. :)

This Heavenly Life said...

I'm visiting from Conversion Diary and had to comment because I'm so jealous that you get to be in a symphony orchestra! What instrument do you play? The pumping issues don't sound fun, but at least you love what you're doing!

I saw a pumping contraption once that was hands free - you could do this while you're driving, if you were so inclined :)

Julia said...

Hi Heavenly Life,

Thanks for commenting. I play the double bass. You're right. I am really lucky to be able to play in a symphony orchestra, and a good one at that. It allows me to get out of the house and I get a great feeling of accomplishment from taking the time that I have for practicing and really focusing it on learning the music.

As for the hand free breast pump, I know what you are talking about. I think it is basically a bra that holds the breast shield part of the pump in place. I have it in the back of my mind to try this out.