Monday, November 16, 2009

Mostly Happy Sunday Dinner

Yesterday I made pork roast for supper. It was a good old-fashioned Sunday dinner. Was it picture perfect? No. There were fussy children and I became a little stressed and grouchy when the food was done and I was trying to get it set out in a somewhat attractive manner while it was still warm. We had invited my brother over and he was holding the baby (one of the fussing children)and singing Billy Joel songs (loudly). This was sweet, but in my state of mind only added to the chaos.

We didn't really eat the meal together either. I had to go up stairs and feed the baby as soon as I was done eating, and my husband couldn't eat when I was eating due the need to get his blood sugar where it should be first (he is diabetic). My two-year-old daughter had a cold and seemingly little appetite and was the other one of the fussing children so my husband put her to bed early (while I was feeding the baby) which seemed to be fine with her.

However, I did get to see my husband eat when I was done feeding the baby. This meant I watched him while he was eating to see if he liked what I had made. He did. He's easy to please and it did turn out pretty well if I say so myself.

So I made a meal that I was proud of (I wish I had photographed it) ,but at the same time I once again got to practice letting go of the things I had no control over. Children (especially very young children) are good at helping us with this.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

My husband and I eat dinner at the coffee table in front of the television every night. There is no excuse. We should have nice dinners at thekitchen table every now and then. We don't have kids- we should enjoy it while it lasts.

Although I can't wait for chaotic dinner times!