After mass a few months ago I talked with a woman who had just had her ninth child. I went over to talk to her and show my two year old her new baby. She said something about how it is so good to come and see everybody at church. I replied with sympathy, "You probably don't get out a lot, do you?" implying that with nine kids 12 and under it must be difficult. She said without blinking, "It's overrated."
I have to admit I was slightly taken aback. Getting out of the house is what we all long for as stay at home wives and mothers, isn't it? Yet in her brief answer she expressed a firm sense of purpose as a homemaker and mother that said, "The rest of the world doesn't know what it's talking about, staying home with the kids is where it's at because this is important and fulfilling work." She implied that being blessed with nine beautiful children was way more important than being able to do whatever you want whenever you want to. She radiated a sense of joy and confidence that made me think (despite all my doubts) that staying home with the kids really is "where it's at."
Though it is still nice to get out occasionally, too.
1 comment:
Love the photo. I am touched by how tender my oldest boy can be with his baby sister. Never paid much attention to his baby brother!
Post a Comment