Saturday, February 9, 2008

Why did I decide to homeschool and do I really want to continue?

This is my second year of homeschooling my now 12 year old son. Of course the question I get asked the most is: "Why did you decide to homeschool?" Of course it's difficult to give a difinitive answer but here is a list of reasons that I often give for my reasons to homeschool:

1. I was unsatisfied the the rogeour of my sons school
2. I saw that my son felt that he could not talk about religion formally at school ( he compartmentalized the place of religion in his life).
3. I had been hearing a lot about homeschooling on Catholic Radio.
4. I loved looking at the Catholic homeschool curriculum choices and thought it really looked fun and interesting.
5. There is a Catholic homeschool group associated with our church that I had seen at various times doing fun activities.
6. I liked the idea of homeschooling and integrating faith and religion into regular school activities.

Here is a list of reasons I am thinking about giving up homeschooling, at least for the moment:

1. I feel I am very unorganized.
2. I feel like we may be getting too isolated
3. I am starting to become irritable with my son because I find it difficult at times to relate to him now that he is getting older.
4. I would like to be normal
5. A part of me cringes at overt religiosity (I have some work to do on this) and don't feel I fit in with my Catholic homeschool group


All in all the more I put into preparing studies for my son daily and weekly the more I enjoy homeschooling him. My goals for him right now are to get him to get started working on his own. He is getting better at this. I had him make out a schedule for himself. When he doesn't know what to do I tell him to look at the schedule.

No comments: