Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thoughts for the Final Weeks of Lent

When I was listening to EWTN Radio on Saturday I happend to catch the homily from the mass that day.  He gave a list of things to do for the less than two weeks of Lent that we have left.  This is the gist of what he said:

1.  Fix your eyes on Jesus.
-repeat his name during the day

2.  Praise the Lord especially at mass.  Go to mass as often as you can.

3.  Repent with humble and contrite heart/go to confession.

4.  Weild the sword of the spirit-Read the Word of God.  Do this every day even for just a few minutes.

5.  Attack the evil one through prayer and expecially fasting in accordance with church teaching.  Do not make your fast too strict or you will become discouraged.  The church teaches two small meals and a larger meal.  The two small meals should together be less than the larger meal.  (Of course we are only required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday but I think he was suggesting more than this but still using the guidelines that are used for those days.)

6.  Surround yourself with Christian community so you are not isolated in spirital warfare. Don't try to do it alone.  This includes receiving the sacraments, surrounding yourself with holy friends, praying with your husband and family.

7.  Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say it -Rejoice! Let your Christian joy be seen by others.

No comments: