Why did Bart Stupak cave so easily for an executive order after standing so strong for so long? I'm really disappointed. I had been thinking how admirable Bart Stupak was for standing his ground under such immense pressure from his own party and then this... It seems to me that he and the other pro-life Democrats that were standing with him could have really done a lot better than an executive order.
It appears to me that Obama had been snubbing Stupak up until the last minute when he saw that Bart and his followers could be a real threat to the passage of this legislation, indicating that Stupak and his followers had a lot of power, more than anyone was expecting them to have, I think. Had they held their ground the bill may not have passed but just think how much could have been gained if they had used this power for the betterment of the Democratic party and the country with their pro-life views. Unfortunately they threw away any real influence they could have had in this reagard.
And to top it all off Stupak accused the pro-life Republicans Chris Smith, Joseph Pitts and another whose name I don't know of trying to kill the bill by speaking out against the fact there are no provisions actually written into the bill itself to prevent federal funding for abortion or for conscious protection. He should know that Chris Smith and the others are sincerely pro-life and protection for the unborn is their first concern. Did he just want to regain the approval of his fellow Democrats? Democrat first, pro-life second. I guess now we know. Heartbreaking.
No comments:
Post a Comment