Friday, October 23, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Vol. 2


1. I am going to make it a blogging goal to do the seven quick takes every Friday if I do nothing else that week. So here I am. Will I do it next Friday? Wait and see.

2. It was rainy, windy and cold yesterday here in East Central Iowa. It is rainy and cold today minus the wind. Husband has been home three days in a row. He stayed home Wednesday because he had to take oldest son to a doctor appointment so he figured he would take the whole day off. He stayed home yesterday and today because he wasn't feeling well. He really didn't get much sleeping and laying down kind of rest but he sure was helpful to me to have around. He helped son with math. We all read about Mecca together from The Book of Marvels by Richard Halliburton for homeschool geography and he helped out with the little ones. So really it was more of a break for me than for him.

3. Husband is presently taking our 14 year old son to his classes at the local Jr. High. He will be back soon and I will... He cam back so I moved down to the basment for a little privacy. I feel self conscious writing on my computer when he is around. It's hard to concentrate too.

4. If I want to be a better writer I just need to do more writing. Right? And do it on a regular basis. Do I really like writing, or am I like most aspring writers and just like the idea of writing. I sure do love reading blogs. I like all of the buttons and gadgets that people have on their blog sites. Sometimes I like that part better than the actual writing part of the blog. Is part of the fun of blogging supposed to be setting up the layout and all that. I suppose for me it is.

5. Halloween--Many Catholic homeschool types don't "celebrate"Hallween in any form. I, however, ususally love handing out candy and even going out trick-or-treating with the kids. In a time when people rarely know their neighbors it is a great opportunity to get out and meet neighbors. Unfortunately you probably won't see them again until next year.

6. Where do bloggers get such great photos/graphics for their blogs that actually fit in with what they are writing. I have noticed these at Conversion Diary and at Wesley J. Smith's Blog Second Hand Smoke.

7. My first symphony rehearsal is a week from this Sunday. It is a double rehearsal so it will last from 1:30 until 8:00 with a two hour break for supper. The baby will not take a bottle yet though husband actually got two ounces into him last night when I was out for about four hours. He was hungry when I got home though. I may have to skip one of the reahearsals on Sunday.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

4. I started my blog for this reason. I wanted to write but knew I have to just START writing in order to be a writer. SO I started a blog and challenged myself to write something every weekday - no matter what. Even if it sucks! Here's a post the puts it into better words.

http://rootsandrings.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/an-open-book/

Just start writing, topics will come to you if you give them a chance. The more you write, the more you'll have to write about!

Julia said...

Chelsea, Thanks so much for your words of encouragment. You are the first person to leave a comment on my blog. I am so excited! I'll be sure to look at your post.

Kelly said...

I agree with Chelsea. I also started a blog recently, it takes a while for people to find you. The writing gets easier and flows better as time passes. Check me out
http://3boystolove.blogspot.com/

If nothing comes to mind, write about what you do with your kids.

I've seen good graphics at images.google.com and http://dlennis.wordpress.com/.