If I thought homeschooling my oldest was hectic with a toddler and a new baby, then I wasn't thinking how much more difficult it would be with ds1 taking classes in the afternoons at the Jr. High on top of that. This also happens to be my two year old daughter's nap time; the time I used to be able to look forward to going over together what we could not get done when she was awake and needing attention.
I am trying to have a plan ahead of time. I was reading in Kimberly Hahn's book Homeward Bound that the little ones should be made part of the homeschool. I guess I'm trying to do this by figuring them into the plan for our day. For example, I have my two year old daughter watch the "Elmo's World" portion of Sesame Street so ds and I can use this time to go over things together. Or perhaps we work some school time in before dd gets up in the morning. I try to think of the things that I would like to do with ds1 and the things that he can do on his own. My goal then is to do the things we want to do together when the opportunity presents itself or by creating opportunities by planning activities for dd such as drawing with her crayons so I don't get so frustrated trying to school when little kids want my attention.
That's not to say I still don't get frustrated. I'm trying to practice the virtue of recollection by focusing on one thing at a time and doing that one thing well. Ds1 and I have read about this in The Virtues of Jesus by Quentin Hakenewerth, SM. This book is part of the Catholic Heritage religion curriculum for 7th grade. Recollection is about the" sacrament of the present moment." By being attentive to what is required in the present moment we are able to know the Will of God. This idea as it is known to me is from the great spiritual classic by Jean-Pierre de Caussade. Here is a quote:
You are trying to discover the secret of how to belong to God, beloved sisters. But there is none, unless it be to take advantage of every opportunity. Everything leads to union with him; everythings brings about perfection excepting sin and what is not our duty. Only take things as they come without interfereing. Everything guides, purifies and sustains you, carrying you along, so to speak, under God's banner by whose hand earth, air and water are made divine.
No comments:
Post a Comment