Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Hidden Life

This is some of what we read yesterday when Gabe and I were readling religion together.  From the Didache Series, Introduction to Catholicism, p. 119 talking about Christ's Hidden Years:

The hiddenlife of Christ is for us the perfect model of humility, industriousness and obedience...

By living in obscurity, he teaches us to fight vanity, which makes us desire to do only what seems great, important, or deserving of praise and notice.  He went about his work day after day without impatience or complaint. 

This is what I had in mind when I named this blog years ago going from an obscure job outside the home to the much more obscure, hidden job of being a homemaker.  It was a somewhat difficult transition.  I really didn't know if I was doing the right thing and one of the main reasons for this was perhaps the lack of acknowledgement that comes your way as a housewife.  It can be a very lonely business being the only one out in the middle of the day with  your own children going for walks in the neighborhood, running errands with your kids while everyone is running errands by themselves over lunch hour or working while their kids are at school or daycare.  Yes I feel like we are odd balls which can be an uncomfortable feeling but it is a feeling that I am learning to embrace.  I am happy to be here.

No comments: