Friday, December 21, 2012

Advent Blessings/ Christmas Poverty

Husband's back surgery on Monday-two weeks before baby is due.  Will he be well enough to drive back and forth from the hospital to check in on the kids?  My husband hasn't pooped since his surgery. Six days.  I'm not sure how serious this is but it makes me worry.

I find out today that my baby is breech and the cord is wrapped around his neck. Because of the nuchal cord the Dr. doesn't want to try and turn him.  It seems probable that I will have a c-section though the baby may turn on his own.

A c-section means one more day in the hospital.  It means that I may need more time for recovery.  It means that I will probably have to rely more on others to get household work done.  And the idea of being cut open and the pain of recovery scares me. 

Since my husband is home recovering from surgery I feel like I don't have any time alone.  He is up early so I can't be alone then.  He goes to bed late so I have to stay up later if I want to be alone.  I am cross with him and he patiently endures it. 

Maybe all this (and I know these problems are nothing compared to what much of the world suffers) is helping me to stick with the basics of the meaning of Christmas and trusting in him more.  I have a gift for everyone here in my immediate family and that is really enough.  I agonize about what to have for Christmas dinner when perhaps I should be thinking more about what food the kids will eat when I am in the hospital. 

I know God is purifying me through all of this. I feel like at the heart of all of this I am learning the lesson of poverty which is what Christmas is.  Christmas is about poverty. 



No comments: