"Those who love themselves with a love that seeks themselves and the world--that seeks creatures more than God--are never satisfied--never quiet. They are always uneasy, always tormented, always upset." Cure d'Ars
This quote reminds me of myself. This is not because I am always seeking worldy possessions like lots of money and shiny new stuff; but because I want things my own way and I get upset when they aren't. This is especially true in my relationship with my husband. I find myself very often looking at what my husband should be doing for me to meet my needs.
But what if I changed my default way of thinking to think more of my husbands needs than my own?
Do you suppose I could be happier if I thought more about someone else than myself? Am I afraid that if I stop thinking about my own needs more than my husband's that I won't get my needs met? Yes I guess so. But maybe the things that I think I so desperately need: that my husband talk with me about deep feelings, ask me out on dates, notice every time I clean the bathroom sink, or whatever aren't really what I need. Do you suppose that if I start thinking about my husbands needs "most of the time" that God will take care of my needs? Maybe I shoud stop worrying that my husband isn't meeting my needs and be filled with confidence that Jesus will take care of needs that I didn't even think that I had. Then perhaps I would stop seeking myself and what I think will make me happy and I would be seeking God. Maybe then I would stop feeling so "unsatisfied, tormented, uneasy, and upset."
And yet if I did change to a new other focused way of thinking I would still only be doing what I was supposed to be doing. "...when you have done all that you were commanded, say 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty'"-Luke 17:10
No comments:
Post a Comment